Spicy Braised Chicken Stew
Dak Doritang | 닭도리탕
My husband loves chicken and pretty much all things potatoes so this Dak Doritang is a dish that I make quite often in our house. This hearty and comforting chicken stew is the perfect savory dish loaded with tender potatoes and vegetables marinated in a delicious sweet & spicy sauce and braised until the meat literally falls off the bones.
- 4 pounds bone-in chicken parts, cut into small pieces
- 1 large potato cut into 2” pieces
- 1 large carrot cut into 2” pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into big chunks
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4-5 thinly sliced 2” ginger pieces
- 5 scallions, cut into 2” lengths
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoons Korean red chili pepper flakes (gochugaru)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Korean red chili pepper paste (gochujang)
Wash and drain chicken making sure to remove any bone fragments.
Wash, trim and cut carrot into 2” pieces
Peel and cut potatoes in 2” pieces and soak in cold water to prevent discoloration.
Peel and cut onion into large chunks.
Wash and cut green onions into 2" slices
Thinly slice green pepper and ginger .
In a large mixing bowl, prepare the marinade by adding the soy sauce, gochugaru, gochujang, minced garlic, sesame oil, sugar and honey together and mix well.
Add the chicken to marinade mixture, making sure to coat each piece. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate for 15-20 minutes.
Place chicken, along with 1/2 cup of water, in a deep braising pan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cover and lower heat. Simmer for 15 minutes, turning chicken over about halfway through.
Add carrots, potatoes, onion, peppers and ginger & cover. Let simmer for another 15 minutes.
Once vegetables are tender, open the lid to allow liquid to evaporate and sauce to thicken.
Add green onion before turning off heat and simmer for an additional minute.
Garnish with sesame seeds and serve hot.
Hope you enjoy this dish as much as my family does!